9 Reasons why goji berries are one of most nutritious superfoods in the world
Goji berries, also known as “red diamonds” or “wolf berries,” are the small, red berry fruits made by the Lycium barbarum, a small tree native to several regions in Asia. People all over Asia have been consuming goji berries and using them as an herb in their traditional medicinal mixtures for over 2,000 years. (1) These superfruits are among the world’s most delicious and nutritious foods available.
In TCM, goji berries are considered a “longevity food.” The Shennong Ben Cao Jing, a classic text about agricultural and medicinal crops and herbs written sometime around 200 BC, even mentions goji berries as a “top grade” medicinal herb believed to imbue those who consume it with remarkable health benefits. (2)
The nutritional profile of goji berries is what gives them their ability to provide a ton of health benefits. Goji berries are a great source of many different nutrients. (3) They are packed with vitamins A, B1, B2, B6, C and E. It is extremely rare for fruit to contain so many vitamins, making goji berries a unique superfruit.
- Goji berries contain up to 500x more vitamin C than oranges.
- Goji berries have more protein than blueberries, raspberries and whole wheat.
- Goji berries have more iron than spinach.
- Goji berries have more beta-carotene than carrots.
- Goji berries contain 18 amino acids, including all nine essential amino acids.
- Goji berries contain the plant-based nutrient beta-sitosterol, which is responsible for many of their health benefits.
Along with this, goji berries also contain trace amounts of over 21 minerals, including zinc, phosphorus, selenium, calcium and many more.
Furthermore, goji berries are a top source of antioxidants. Few fruits can rival the ability of goji berries to deal with harmful free radicals. Goji berries rank very highly in the US Department of Agriculture’s Oxygen Radical Absorbance Capacity (ORAC) test. (4) The USDA’s ORAC test determines how high the antioxidant content is in many foods, and as a potent source of antioxidants, goji berries can help protect your body from oxidative stress and support your overall health.
But that’s not all. Here are nine other health benefits goji berries can provide:
- Goji berries support healthy immune function.*
Because of their high antioxidant content, goji berries are great at giving the healthy immune system a lot of support. The abundant presence of vitamins A and C further help maintain a healthy immune system. One study even found that drinking goji berry juice daily for 30 days supports the body’s natural ability to fend off seasonal and environmental threats. (5)
- Goji berries promote sensible weight management plans.*
Not only are goji berries nutritious, but they’re also a low-calorie and low-sugar superfood, making them an excellent addition to a healthy diet for those on a sensible weight management plan, provided that you also couple this with a healthy diet and proper exercise regimen. Furthermore, goji berries are rich in dietary fiber.
- Goji berries help maintain optimal cognitive health.*
The antioxidants in goji berries can help protect your brain from damage caused by harmful free radicals. One study also found that consuming goji berries can help support healthy cognitive functions.
- Goji berries support your body's natural ability to remove toxic elements.*
Regular consumption of goji berries can help keep your body refreshed and nourished. This is because goji berries support your body’s natural ability to eliminate toxic elements.
- Goji berries maintain a healthy cardiovascular system.*
The high concentration of antioxidants found in goji berries can help protect your heart against the harmful effects of free radicals. Furthermore, goji berries have a way of maintaining your body’s normal levels of nitric oxide.
- Goji berries uplift and elevate your mood.*
Goji berries are also known as “happy berries” because of their nutrient content and they have been used in traditional Chinese medicine to naturally uplift and elevate mood.
- Goji berries promote healthy vision.*
Many studies have focused on the high level of antioxidants in goji berries – specifically, zeaxanthin. This carotenoid is what gives goji berries their bright, red-orange color. Zeaxanthin is also known to support healthy vision. Goji berries even contain more beta-carotene than carrots.
- Goji berries support healthy kidney and liver functions.*
Goji berries are a common ingredient in traditional Chinese medicine for maintaining healthy liver and kidney functions. Modern research has been able to prove that consuming goji berries can help maintain a healthy liver and kidneys.
- Goji berries promote healthy, glowing skin.*
Vitamin C and beta-carotene, two nutrients found in goji berries, are also known for their ability to maintain healthy and radiant-looking skin. The antioxidants in goji berries also reduce the appearance of aging skin.
Before you purchase your own goji berries, you should know that the goji berry market is dominated by China. (6) Nearly all goji berries in the world are grown in two regions in the north and northwest of China. This is concerning because China is a country known for its lax regulations and pollution. You should consider getting goji berries only from vendors you trust. Make sure your goji berries are grown outside of China or in high altitude areas, far away from polluted cities.
One goji berry product that is known for its strict adherence to cleanliness is Health Ranger Select Organic Goji Berries. Our product is meticulously sourced from only the cleanest goji berries that are grown high in the Himalayan mountains of Tibet. Many lots of berries are even rejected, especially if they do not meet our strict standards. All our premium goji berries are also lab tested for glyphosate, heavy metals and microbiology.
How to add goji berries to your diet
Goji berries taste sweet and can be eaten either raw or as an ingredient in oatmeal, pastries, herbal teas, juices, smoothies or even whole meals. (7)
If you’re unsure of how to first try out eating goji berries, here’s a little recipe adapted from Healthy Smoothie Headquarters that you can try out yourself: (8)
Go-Go Goji Berry and Banana Smoothie
- ¼ cup Health Ranger Select Organic Goji Berries
- ½ cup fresh or frozen berries (strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, etc.)
- 1 fresh or frozen medium-sized banana
- 1 cup water
- ½ tablespoon Groovy Bee® Organic Raw Cacao Nibs (highly recommended, because cacao goes great with goji berries)
- 1 teaspoon Health Ranger Select Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
- 1 tablespoon Health Ranger Select Organic Chia Seeds
- Place all the ingredients into your blender, except for the add-ons.
- Blend the ingredients together until your desired consistency is reached.
- Pour smoothie into your glass.
- Sprinkle the cacao nibs or chia seeds on top or mix in the extra virgin coconut oil.
Do you know of any other ways goji berries can support your health? How about another recipe for goji berries? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below.
Share this article with your friends and tell us how goji berries have positively impacted your overall health!
**These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA. This product is not intended to treat, cure or diagnose any diseases.